Thursday 11 April 2013

Homemade Oreos




The annoying moment when you go outside to take pictures for your blog post to discover it has started raining for the first time in 3 weeks, take about bad timing! Anyway....
Om nom nom, oreos, who doesn't love an oreo!? I certainly do enjoy the odd packet oreo from time to time. But lets be honest, who would want a tiny weeny pre made packeted oreo when you could make your own massive one?



Well my Easter hols are sadly drawing to a close and next week I have two of my friends' birthdays coming up, one of whom absolutely adores oreos. She has them in her packed lunch every day and if you manage to sit next to her in the dinner hall she might just give you one. She also loves nutella so I'll be making some of that later this week but making it healthy, healthy nutella coming soon!



Have you ever noticed that if your twist an oreo and take out all the cream it tastes really sweet but the biscuits actually don't taste that good by themselves? Quite bitter really. Well during this recipe I had a little bit of a meltdown/ disaster so I'm not going to lie to you, I have a confession. 
After making the dough, putting it in the fridge, photographing it, slicing it, preheating the oven and putting the biscuits in I had a little taste of the dough (one of the advantages of being greedy) to discover I'd forgotten an ingredient. The sugar. Luckily I realised moments after putting them in so had to get them back out, put all the biscuits back in the food processor, add some sugar, roll into a sausage, put in the fridge and do the whole process again. But I can now tell you that it was definitely worth it. I know I just said I was making these for my friends birthday but I had to taste test them first of course (to check for poison) and I don't know how but they beat the regular oreos because the biscuits are much nicer. That's right. They beat 'em!





Homemade Oreos 

(makes about 30 oreos depending on size)

biscuits

  • 300 grams of plain flour
  • 25 grams of cocoa powder
  • 200 grams of chilled butter (cubed)
  • 125 grams of caster sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
cream

  • 150 grams of butter 
  • 200 grams of icing sugar
  • a few drops of vanilla extract (optional)
  1. put the cocoa and flour into a food processor and whizz until combined before adding the cubed butter and pulsing until you get bread crumbs
  2. 2 add the sugar and yolks then whizz again until it starts to form a dough
  3. take out and knead quickly to make sure everything's combined before rolling out into a long sausage, wrapping up and putting in the fridge for 1/2 an hour
  4. preheat the oven to 180oC/ 350oF/ gas 4 and prepare a baking sheet
  5. get the sausage from the from the fridge and cut into discs about 0.5 - 1.0 cm thick before laying out on the baking sheet and cooking for about 20 minutes and cooling on a wire rack (you might have to do it in two batches)

  1. While the biscuits are cooling make the cream by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl, adding the butter and whisking until you get a stiff and pale butter cream
  2. sandwich the cooled biscuits generously with the cream or store in a airtight container to sandwich on a later day

And finally eat them! Twist, lick and dunk of course. Thanks for reading and please let me know how they go if you try them, remember the sugar! Also let me know if you've had any baking disasters recently and if you managed to turn them around. Thank you very much and be sure to look out for the healthy nutella to accompany these which I'll be posting later this week.

2 comments: