Sunday 14 July 2013

Peach and Green Tea Ice Cream (no churning needed!)



So I'm back from the 30 degree, sunny and insanely hot place of Paris back to the cold, wet and raining surprisingly sunny and hot land of Cumbria. Cumbria and hot and binary opposites :D


So because it's so hot I desided to make some ice cream. Also because the aga is now turned off it's so hot and the electric oven decided to break at the same time, we only have two gas rings and a BBQ to cook food with!


So while I was in Paris, it was so hot that you constantly needed to be drinking so it was a challenge to find the cheapest coldest drink you could. I managed to find a can of Lipton's iced peach tea, and it was beautifully refreshing and just what I needed! This ice cream tastes just like it and is a no-machine ice cream!



France was brilliant by the way. On Monday we went the the louvre, padlock bridge, a fair and Notre Dame or shopping at UK shops (would you believe some people chose shopping at H&M!?), Tuesday we went to the Musee d'Orsay, the Eiffel tower and a boat trip, and Wednesday we went to the Arc de Triomphe and the Pompidou. 
All of my pictures are pretty terrible and mostly ironic selfies of me and my friends! I tried to pick out a few good ones (:

Musee d'Orsay clock
Arc de Triomphe 
the view from Notre Dame
Would you believe that on getting half way up the Eiffel tower my camera ran out of battery! Me and my Friends decided to walk up the 669 steps to the second floor, I didn't believe just how big it was until I was stood under it. I wanted to get to the top but it was closed of due to the wind and to get to the third floor you had to queue twice more. The view was beautiful, not as good as the Notre Dame though in my opinion as you couldn't see the Eiffel tower!



I was quite proud of this picture from Notre Dame as it looks like a miniature Paris!
My favourite moment was probably the least expected one. We were walking down a main street to our hotel (we were staying near Overkamph) when we saw a big stage and a huge crowd of people waiting for the next act, we asked who was on and a man said 'Biffy Clyro'.

Biffy Clyro? The Biffy Clyro band from Scotland? like the 'WHEN WE COLLIDE WE COME TOGETHER' Biffy Clyro? 
Yes. Yes it was. For free, in the centre of Paris. Twas amaazing. The night before though we'd missed Jake Bug (another one of my favourite artists!) and the next night was going to be bastille. But I still can't get over that. I strongly suggest googling them! 
............... anyhoo, back to peaches, tea and ice cream!


Peach and Green Tea Ice Cream

(serves 10)adapted from Mary Berry


  • 5 peaches
  • 3 table spoons of Castor sugar
  • 5 green tea tea bags
  • 4 eggs separated
  • 100 grams of Castor sugar
  • 300 ml of double cream 


  1. to poach the fruit cut each peaches in half and put in a pan face up, it's best if there is just one layer of peaches. Add enough water to come half way up the peaches. Add in the 3 tablespoons of sugar, boil and simmer for 15- 20 minutes so they're soft.
  2. drain the poaching juice into a jug and add the tea bags
  3. Once the peaches are cool squish them with your hands so you get some lumps and some pulp. You can cut them into 1cm cubed pieces if ya like to be accurate!
  4. line your container with cling film (I used a loaf tin)
  5. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, add the 100 grams of sugar a little at a time until fully incorporated and glossy. 
  6. whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks before adding the tea and poaching liquid. You may not need all of it, you need the cream to still be a little stiff
  7. fold in the egg white a bit at a time until it's all been added and has no lumps of egg white left. 
  8. Spoon into the container and put in a freezer for 3 hours until solid 
  9. devour. 



No comments:

Post a Comment